Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to uniquely identify or contact a single person.
Here are some examples of the types of personal information UNCG may collect and how we may use it.
What personal information we collect
- When you create a user account, request support, or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, email address, and contact preferences.
Usernames and Postings
Comments or other information posted by you to our forums or other areas of the site designed for public communications or communications among registered class members may be viewed and downloaded by others who visit the site. For this reason, we encourage you to use discretion when deciding whether to post any information that can be used to identify you to those forums (or other public or classwide areas).
How we use your personal information
- The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on the latest UNCG announcements, course updates, and upcoming events. It also helps us to improve our services, content, and advertising. If you don’t want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We also use personal information to help us develop, deliver, and improve our products, services, content, and advertising.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about MOOC courses and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with UNCG, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve UNCG’s products, services, and user communications.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect non-personal information − data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Links to Other Websites
UNCG MOOCs and websites may contain links to third-party websites, products, and services. Our site may also use products or services from third parties − for example, a third-party website linked from a MOOC webpage. Information collected by third parties, which may include such things as location data or contact details, is governed by their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
Our website is not intended for use by individuals under the age of 13, and UNCG does not knowingly collect personal data from those in this age group. If we become aware that someone under the age of 13 has registered, we will expunge any related personal Information from our records.
Effective Date: March 3, 2014